A spiritual perspective on Tangled
Recapping the movieEdit
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. ~ Romans 1:20
· Who were the main characters?
· What was the focus of the movie? What is this treasure?
· Discussion: What is your most treasured possession?
· Discussion: What is your most treasured talent?
· Discussion: What is the greatest treasure granted by God?
Getting the treasureEdit
“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. ~ Matthew 13:44
· Why did Mother want the treasure? What did this treasure mean to Mother?
· What did Mother do to get this treasure?
· Discussion: What do you desire most right now? What will you do to get it?
· Discussion: What does God’s treasure mean for us?
· Discussion: What do we need to do to get God’s treasure?
Focusing on the treasureEdit
Once His gift I wanted, Now the Giver own; Once I sought for healing, Now Himself alone. ~ Himself (Hymn # 393)
· What did Mother love most?
· How did Mother demonstrate this love?
· Discussion: Do we love God, or God’s blessing?
· Discussion: How should we demonstrate our love?
Using the treasureEdit
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. ~ Matthew 5:14-16
· Why did Mother hide the treasure?
· What was the true potential of this treasure?
· Discussion: What is the potential of God’s treasure?
· Discussion: How do you use your gifts from God? How should the gospel be used?
Freedom from false treasuresEdit
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ ~ Philippians 3:7-8
· What did Flynn mean to say Rapunzel would die if she uses her gift?
· Discussion: Do you have anything that is tying you down, not letting you live?