A spiritual perspective on Up in the Air
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. ~ Romans 1:20
Freedom without Attachments[edit | edit source]
If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. ~ Mark 9:43
· Describe Ryan’s life
· Why does Ryan want no attachments?
· What does having no attachments allow Ryan to do?
· Discussion: What kind of attachments do you have in your life? What’s in your backpack?
Attached for Purpose[edit | edit source]
I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen. ~ C. S. Lewis
· What is Ryan attached to?
· Discussion: What relationship do you have with your attachment? How do you maintain your attachments?
· Discussion: What do your attachments stop you from doing?
· Discussion: What items should you remove from your backpack?
(De)Attached for Freedom[edit | edit source]
What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ ~ Philippians 3:8
· At the very end, how do the unemployed get by?
· Discussion: How do you view your attachment to God?